Also known as “Crystal Malt”, Patagonia’s Caramel 170L is made from green malt. During the toasting process sugars are caramelized developing unique flavors, aromas and colors.
One of the darker Patagonia caramel malts, delivering rich and vibrant red and ruby hues. While the color alone is a reason to give this malt a try, the 170L is also pleasantly restrained in the cloying sweetness it delivers. Tons of color, subtle sweetness; perfect for Dopplebocks, Red ales, Dubbels, and Barley Wines.
*Limited availability at certain warehouse locations
- Sweet, fresh and clear caramel taste on lower colors
- As roasting increases, flavor becomes more complex, adding notes of toffee and raisins
- On high colors there are flavors of dry prunes, sweet bitterness and roasted bread
- Red beers
- Amber beers
- Clear beers
- Brown beers (Scottish or Brown Ale)
- Dark beers (Porter or Stout)
- Alcohol-free beers